If you are a fan of cars then Automobil Museum is something for you. It is a large, private collection of cars, some of which are over 100 years old.
It is located in the Southern part of Dortmund, between Wellinghofen and Bittermark. The full address is Brandisstraße 50, 44265 Dortmund (official website).
Entry ticket costs 5 EUR, but I believe you get 2 EUR back if you decide to eat/drink at the onsite Italian restaurant.
Even though my knowledge of cars is incredibly limited, I still enjoyed this place. I haven’t even noticed how I spent 3 full hours here, imagine that. The owner and administrator of the museum was present and took some time to present some of the cars.
Besides the cars visible in this post there is a two-storied car garage nearby that holds a lot more cars, this is probably just ~25-30% of the collection. Every few months some of the cars are swapped in the museum, so you can visit it a couple times a year and see different cars.
1. This is the entrance to the museum. If you want the restaurant then go right, if you want to go and see the cars then go left, down one flight of stairs.
2. I’ve just now realized that the air in the museum did not smell of a “car garage”, it was fresh and pleasant. So you don’t have to worry about stinky clothes or things like that.
3. This is their restaurant, with a generous wine menu. The tables on the right have a direct view of the cars.
4. I was greeted by this collection of 5 Mercedes Benz, a good start.
5. Unfortunately the owner has to put some separators around the cars, because much too often visitors will scratch or damage the cars. Still, if you are interested, you can always request a closer look at the cars, if you want to sit in one of them, etc. Just be considerate of the amount of work that goes into preserving these cars in driving condition.
8. Mercedes-Benz SL 300 made in 1956. 3000 ccm 6 cylinder engine, 215 horsepower with a max speed of 265 km/h.
12. Jaguar Mark 5 made in 1950.
13. I sat in this car for a few minutes, not too shabby.
14. Mercedes-Benz 600 Limousine made in 1965. This car can be rented for weddings and other celebrations (comes with a driver).
15. The armrests are like in a movie theater.
16. Mercedes-Benz 300 SL Roadster made in 1957.
17. Look where the rear-view mirror is installed :)
18. Goggomobil 250 Coupe from 1957. A curious little car.
19. I have no idea what this is for.
20. What the…
21. A car from 1925 with fantastic wooden rims.
22. I want to remind you that all these cars are in driving condition, and the owners take them out for a spin from time to time.
23. No mirrors = no problems.
24. Cyclops car.
25. I just loved the Jaguar logo on this car.
26. And this is a car made out of wood.
27. This is a completely unique car, only one was ever made. The creator Mike Morris made this car for his wife, and apparently she didn’t like it much :)
It is a Triumpph Herold Chassis released in 1969 called Coupe- D- ERIKA. 4 cylinder 1200 ccm engine, 49 horsepower. Maximum speed is 130km/h.
Just the woodwork took over 3,800 hours of labor. 3,800 / 24 = 158 days of non-stop work.
29. What can I say?
30. Mercedes-Benz 190 SL.
31. Mercedes-Benz 230 SL.
33. The dashboards of these Mercedes cars are just fantastic. The leather seats are too good to sit in them :)
34. The only Volkswagen car in the room, a 1971 Käfer Boxer Cabriolet.
35. And the only Porsche on display.
37. An Alfa Romeo.
38. And then there’s this Jaguar. Was this inspired by Speed Racer or the other way around?
40. Looks safe enough.
42. There were quite a lot of Jaguars on display.
45. From a distance it looks like the sigil of House Stark from Game of Thrones :)
46. Mercedes-Benz Limousine from 1934.
47. Also with wooden rims. This car can also be rented for events (with a driver) and costs roughly 190 EUR / hour.
48. I was told that it is a real pain to drive this tank.
50. There’s also a small corner with some bikes, Vespas, etc.
52. The only Opel on display looks really fantastic. Opel GT 1900 from 1972. I would love to take a spin on this one.
53. That is all for today. Maybe in Summer of 2017 I will take another look, see what other cars they got.
P.S. If you are wondering if these cars are for sale – yes they are, with a small condition: you have to buy everything – all the cars, the buildings, etc. So basically you can buy everything or nothing :)