If you are a fan of cars then Automobil Museum is something for you. It is a large, private collection of cars, some of which are over 100 years old.
It is located in the Southern part of Dortmund, between Wellinghofen and Bittermark. The full address is Brandisstraße 50, 44265 Dortmund (official website).
Entry ticket costs 5 EUR, but I believe you get 2 EUR back if you decide to eat/drink at the onsite Italian restaurant.
Even though my knowledge of cars is incredibly limited, I still enjoyed this place. I haven’t even noticed how I spent 3 full hours here, imagine that. The owner and administrator of the museum was present and took some time to present some of the cars.
Besides the cars visible in this post there is a two-storied car garage nearby that holds a lot more cars, this is probably just ~25-30% of the collection. Every few months some of the cars are swapped in the museum, so you can visit it a couple times a year and see different cars.
In this gallery:
- Mercedes-Benz SL 300 made in 1956. 3000 ccm 6 cylinder engine, 215 horsepower with a max speed of 265 km/h.
- Jaguar Mark 5 made in 1950.
- Mercedes-Benz 600 Limousine made in 1965. This car can be rented for weddings and other celebrations (comes with a driver).
- Mercedes-Benz 300 SL Roadster made in 1957.
- Goggomobil 250 Coupe from 1957. A curious little car.
- A car from 1925 with fantastic wooden rims.
- A car made out of wood.
- Mercedes-Benz 190 SL.
- Mercedes-Benz 230 SL.
- The only Volkswagen car in the room, a 1971 Käfer Boxer Cabriolet.
- And the only Porsche on display.
- An Alfa Romeo.
- Mercedes-Benz Limousine from 1934.
- Opel GT 1900 from 1972.
P.S. If you are wondering if these cars are for sale – yes they are, with a small condition: you have to buy everything – all the cars, the buildings, etc. So basically you can buy everything or nothing :)