Domaine du Tix Winery near Mont Ventoux, Vaucluse – France
The owners of the estate bought it in 1999 (at the time it was a ruin) and started converting the existing 5ha of table grapes to wine varieties: Viognier, Syrah and Grenache.
Today the winery has a total of 10 hectares of vineyards in the region of 2 villages – Mormoiron and Blauvac. Currently 4 grape varieties are grown in the clayish, limestone soil: Viognier, Syrah, Grenache and Cinsault, Syrah covering almost 50% of the area.
The total production is roughly 35.000 bottles per year.
The new owner (since July 2016) is Andre Tremblay, a passionate winemaker who owns another boutique winery in Douro valley, Portugal.
1. The road to the winery.
2. On the way you can stop for a minute and look at Mont Ventoux.
3. We start with a quick tour of the estate. A beautiful fish pond is the first stop for the children.
4. The wine cellar and production area is visible in the background to the right, in the building with the bell on the roof.
5. We arrived in mid-October some days after the harvest.
7. All of this is Syrah.
9. Now let’s see the production area.
10. We arrived on a busy day after the maceration process was finished.
11. On the left there are 4 large concrete tanks used for maceration and fermentation. The winemaker can easily write down every step with chalk on the concrete.
13. This Syrah is just a few days old, how can one resist?
14. The man behind the wines.
15. The stainless steel tanks have a plastic tube that runs on the left side from top all the way to the bottom. This is used to see if the sediment in the wine has fully cleared. You can see clear wine at the top of the tube, while it gets murkier at the bottom.
16. The fermentation of the rose makes it look like freshly-poured sparkling wine.
18. Wine is aged in oak barrels. The tubes are there to prevent the wine from spilling on the barrels.
My favorite wine from the ones I have tasted here was the Viognier 2015, a fantastic white wine that goes well with anything, even with some red meat.
These photos were taken on 21st of October 2016.