Premstätten near Graz, Austria
On 8th of October 2016 we spent half a day in Premstätten, a small village South of Graz. Before 2016 this village had the name of Unterpremstätten.
We decided to stop here for the night on our way to Italy, as we prefer not to drive too many hours in the same day with a small child on board. We found a room at Hotel Urldwirt, which is very modern, something that in Austrian villages is somewhat hard to find. Even though they still use a lot of wood for the interiors, you don’t feel like in a ski chalet in the mountains.
We went on a short walk around the hotel to explore the neighborhood. We’ve been to multiple Austrian villages and cities before and this one did not disappoint us. Clean, well-planned, friendly and accessible to all ages.
1. The hotel’s exterior looks modern and stands out from the colorful houses that surround it.
2. The parking lot immediately reminds us that we are in Austria.
3. Colorful houses and lots of flowers, welcome to Austria!
4. All streets have sidewalks for pedestrians and ramps for bicycles, wheelchairs, strollers, etc.
5. Only hedge fences are tall and can hide the courtyards. The wooden and metal fences are always low and see-through.
7. The inside common area for ~8-10 houses (placed in a circle).
8. No barriers, no fences, no dogs to keep us out.
9. Everything is as natural and as simple as possible.
10. A lovely house. The bikes are not secured to anything, the people don’t live in fear.
11. There are corn fields right outside of the village’s limits.
12. The front side of a new residential area, with a few 3-storied apartment buildings. Different types of bicycle parking: closed and open.
13. The back of the buildings has another area for relaxing and enjoying your time. More bicycle parking spaces.
14. A small playground for children.
16. People that live on the ground-floor all have small private gardens and spaces for grilling or other activities.
19. This is the central road in the village, with the sidewalk only on one side. Everybody respects the speed limit, so you always feel safe from the low traffic.